Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Recording a Webcast

I often register for webcasts with the best intentions of attending, but they often end up running at times that conflict with other work of a higher priority.

Today I decided to record a webcast so I can watch it at my leisure. I did this using a very nice screen recording utility called CamStudio which costs absolutely nothing!

CamStudio captures the graphics and audio currently occurring on your PC and records them to an avi file. So I was able to simply join my webcast, start CamStudio then run off to a meeting. When I came back from the meeting I stopped the recording and used Windows Movie Maker to trim the excess from the end, add a title and export as a .wmv that I can watch and pass around to my colleagues.

One thing I had to work out before I could start recording with CamStudio was how to get sound to record. A few things have to be done here:

  1. In CamStudio select Options–>Record audio from speakers
  2. In Control Panel–>Hardware and Sound–>Sound select the Recording tab. Right click on Stereo Mix and Enable the right click on Microphone and Disable (on Windows 7)

Now the sound recording will be from whatever is sent to your PC speakers rather than your microphone.

Technorati Tags: ,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment